What is DiVA?
DiVA (Digitala Vetenskapliga Arkivet) is Linköping University's institutional repository for electronic registering and archiving of research publications and student theses written by researchers, teachers and students working at LiU. Bibliographic information about publications is registered in DiVA and, if there are no copyright infringements, the full text can be added. DiVA is Sweden's largest digital publishing system for research publications.
The Purpose of DiVA
DiVA is a digital archive for long-term preservation of research publications and student theses with the purpose to:
- effectively spread LiU's research,
- make the researchers and the students publications visible and available,
- offer a collective tool for the university's publications,
- use for annual reports, statistics and quantitative studies of scientific material, bibliometrics,
- secure the access of LiU's publications,
- show the general public how LiU's resources are used.
DiVA began its development in 2000 at the Electronic Publishing Centre (EPC) at Uppsala University. DiVA is run as a syndicate with, with a growing number of members, who share and finance the system. The development of DiVA is going on continuously in co-operation with EPC and the members have two annual meetings every year for discussion of further development and improvements of the system. All universities and publicly financed research institutions both in Sweden and abroad are welcome to join DiVA in its co-operative effort.
The DiVA portal is a common search tool for all members of DiVA.
Features in DiVA
In DiVA one can choose from several publication types, create detailed metadata records and upload full texts in different file formats. DiVA currently handles the publication types:
- Article in journal
- Article, book overview
- Article, review/survey
- Artistic output
- Chapter in book
- Collection (editorial)
- Conference paper
- Conference proceedings (editorial)
- Data set (for publishing smaller amounts of research data in different file formats)
- Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary
- Doctoral thesis, monograph
- Licentiate thesis, comprehensive summary
- Licentiate thesis, monograph
- Manuscript (preprint)
- Project item (publish research projects with project description, time span, funds received etc.)
- Student theses
The information from the records, thanks to the detailed metadata, can be used by e.g. SwePub. With the introduction of the legal deposit of elcetronical material in 2017 full texts from DiVA to Libris is automatically delivered.
Information about handling personal data in DiVA is available on our webpage Handling Personal Data.