Methodology/approach: The details of ‚Äúthe Seven Tools for New Product Planning‚ÄĚ will be described in this article. These tools are as follows;
- Interview Survey: Qualitative survey technique for arriving at hypotheses
- Questionnaire Survey: Quantitative survey technique for verifying hypotheses
- Positioning Analysis: Method of positioning products and directing planning
- Idea Generation: Procedure for efficient generation of ideas
- Idea Evaluation and Selection Analysis: Method of evaluating and objectively selecting ideas
- Conjoint Analysis: Technique for identifying optimal concepts
- Quality Table: Method for linkage of Planning and Design
Findings: This article describes the ‚ÄúSeven Tools for New Product Planning‚ÄĚ in broad generalities and discussed the stage in process planning in which they should be used. The details of these seven tools will be discussed in this article.
Research limitation/implication: We insist that the ‚ÄúSeven Tools for New Product Planning‚ÄĚ are also effevtive and powerful for Kansei Engineering.
Originality/value: Though the ‚ÄúSeven Tools for New Product Planning‚ÄĚ are well known in Japan; those are not globally introduced because there are quite a few papers and books concerning the ‚ÄúSeven Tools for New Product Planning.‚ÄĚ
Keywords: Kansei; new product planning; Seven Tools for New Product Planning; total quality management (TQM)
11th QMOD Conference. Quality Management and Organizational Development Attaining Sustainability From Organizational Excellence to SustainAble Excellence; 20-22 August; 2008 in Helsingborg; Sweden
Kanda; N.; T. Ofuji; S. Okamoto; T. Konno; and S. Nagasawa (1995) The Seven Tools for Product Planning ‚Äď Toolbox for New Product Development ‚Äď; Nikkagiren Shuppansha (in Japanese)
Kanda; N.; T. Ofuji; S. Okamoto; T. Konno; S. Nagasawa and K. Maruyama (2000) Easy-To-Understand Version of the Seven Tools for New Product Planning Series to Create Hit Products; Volume 2; Nikkagiren Shuppansha (in Japanese) and Taiwan Productivity Centre (translated in Chinese; 2003)
Nagasawa; S. (2003) Revision and Verification of "Seven Tools for Product Planning;" Kansei Engineering International; Vol.3; No.4; pp.3-8.
Nagasawa; S. and P.J. Tsai (2007) Marketability of Environment-Conscious Products: Applications of the "Seven Tools for New Product Planning;‚ÄĚ Koyo Shobo