Methodology/approach: The paper shows the results of a conceptual research concerning the problem of process quality evaluation. The description of the problem; using the terminology of decision sciences; allowed to analyse the multicriteria decision making (MCDM) methods and to choice the apprioprate one.
Findings: It is possible to define the problem of process quality evaluation as the multicriteria decision problem and to apply one of the MCDM methods to its solution. There was indicated that the approach based on decision rules; using rough set theory; is the most applicable tool for the process quality evaluation made in a changeable; dynamic manufacturing environment; also for the sake of the ease of use and results interpretation.
Practical implications: The final aim of the research is to give a process operator a tool to evaluate the process quality online.
Originality/value: The originality of the concept consists in defining the problem of process quality evaluation as a multicriteria decision problem and in pointing out the approach based on decision rules using a rough set theory as the appropriate method of its solution.
Keywords: Process quality evaluation; multicriteria decision making
11th QMOD Conference. Quality Management and Organizational Development Attaining Sustainability From Organizational Excellence to SustainAble Excellence; 20-22 August; 2008 in Helsingborg; Sweden
1. Benayoun; R; Roy; B; & Sussmann; B; (1966); â€śELECTRE: Une mĂ©thode pour guider le choix en presence de points de vue multiplesâ€ť Technical report; SEMA-METRA International; Direction Scientifique; Vol. 49; Paris.
2. Greco; S; Matarazzo; B & Slowinski; R; (1998); â€śA new rough set approach to multicriteria and multiattribute classificationâ€ť; Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence 1424; 60-67.
3. Greco; S; Matarazzo; B; & Slowinski; R; (2001); â€śRough set theory for multicriteria decision analysisâ€ť; European Journal of Operational Research; Vol. 129; No. 1; 1-47.
4. Greco; S; Matarazzo; B; & Slowinski; R; (2004); â€śAxiomatic characterization of a general utility function and its particular cases in terms of conjoint measurement and rough-set decision rulesâ€ť; European Journal of Operational Research; Vol. 158; No. 2; 271-292.
5. Hamrol; A; (2000); â€śProcess diagnostics as means of improving the efficiency of quality controlâ€ť; Production Planning and Control; Vol. 11; No. 8; 797-805.
6. Hamrol; A; (2008); Zarzadzanie jakoscia z przykladami; PWN; Warszawa.
7. Jacquet-Lagreze; E & Siskos; J; (1982); â€śAssessing a Set of Additive Utility Functions for Multicriteria Decision Making; the UTA Methodâ€ť; European Journal of Operational Research; Vol. 10; No. 2; 151-164.
8. Jaszkiewicz; A & Slowinski; R; (1995); â€śThe Light Beam Search - outranking based interactive procedure for multiple-objective mathematical programmingâ€ť; In: Pardalos; PM; Siskos; Y & Zopounidis; C; (ed.); Advances in Multicriteria Analysis; Kluwer Academic Publishers; Dordrecht.
9. Pawlak; Z; (1982); â€žRough setsâ€ť; International Journal of Information & Computer Sciences; Vol. 11; 341-356.
10. Pawlak; Z & Slowinski; R; (1994); â€žRough set approach to multi-attribute decision analysisâ€ť; European Journal of Operational Research; Vol. 72; 443-459.
11. Roy; B; (1990); Wielokryterialne wspomaganie decyzji; WNT; Warszawa.
12. Saaty; T; (1980); The Analytic Hierarchy Process: Planning; Priority Setting; Resource Allocation; McGraw-Hill International; New York.
13. Sawicki; P & Zak; J; (2007); â€śTechnical diagnostic of a fleet of vehicles using rough set theoryâ€ť; European Journal of Operational Research; doi:10.1016/j.ejor.2007.10.053.
14. Shen; L; Tay; F; Qu; L & Shen; Y; (2000); â€śFault diagnosis using Rough Sets Theoryâ€ť; Computers in Industry; Vol. 43; No. 1; 61-72.
15. Slowinski; R; (2007); â€žZbiory przyblizone we wspomaganiu decyzjiâ€ť; In: Kulczycki; P; Hryniewicz; O & Kacprzyk; J; (ed.); Techniki informacyjne w badaniach systemowych; WNT; Warszawa.
16. Smith; GM; (2002); Statistical Process Control and Quality Improvement; Pearson Prentice Hall.
17. Tseng; TL; Jothishankar; MC & Wu; T; (2004); â€śQuality Control Problem in Printed Cuicuit Board Manufacturing â€“ An Extended Rough Set Theory Approachâ€ť; Journal of Manufacturing Systems; Vol. 23; No. 1; 56-72.
18. Vincke; P; (1994); Multicriteria decision-aid; John Wiley&Sons; Chichester.