It might be that our palette of available surface textures is somewhat restricted and that textures are yet to be discovered; which are not the result of existing manufacturing processes; that when combined with other physical properties of the surface material; such as compliance and thermal conductivity; produce useful effects.
This paper presents initial results of ongoing research to establish a process for synthesising surface textures. The steps of the process are as follows.
- Establish an affective specification of the required surface.
- Identify a physical specification of the surface.
- Model candidate manufacturing processes.
- Create surface profiles using models of candidate manufacturing processes.
- Generate computer representations of the surface.
- Manufacture surface using processes such as printing; selective laser sintering or micromachining.
- Test that the generated surface has the required affective properties.
Initial work by the authors in each of these steps is described in the following sections.
Keywords: Affective engineering; kansei engineering; surface textures