- find the exact location for each dumping;
- investigate the risks for the environment and decide what sort of environmental influence is possible in the future;
- assess the likelihood of spontaneous combustion;
- explore the possibilities of salvaging the ammunition; if needed.
A short summary of the results of our investigations and tests is:
- there are no good methods to locate ammunition buried in the bottom sediment of the sea;
- dumped ammunition is not harmful to the environment;
- there is no risk of spontaneous combustion as long as you do not move the ammunition;
there is no reason; from an environmental point of view; to salvage dumped ammunition.