An important part of my in-service work however is with Dutch teachers and this paper gives particular emphasis to my links with two Dutch primary teachers’ colleges. One of these institutions (in Tilburg); has been sending teachers to the University of Greenwich for four consecutive years for a week of Primary Design and Technology. I also visit their institution. The main vehicle for my teaching Dutch (and UK) teachers has been Roald Dahl’s story ‚ÄėCharlie and the Chocolate Factory’ as stimulus for a design and technology centred thematic project. This project allowed me to combine my two of my main areas of responsibility at the University of Greenwich namely: Design and Technology overseas liaison and Primary in-service training in DT. The story was chosen because it was familiar and provides such a good vehicle for a wide range of technology.
The teachers came with a good understanding of the context. The practical outcome was to be ’a new machine for Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory’. Teachers also spent the day in a primary school close to the University to see good practice with children. A good variety of machines were produced. Finally each group demonstrated their machine for the benefit of the others.
PATT 1996. Proceedings from the conference "Pupils Attitude Towards Technology"
(1) Wragg; E.; Bennett; N. and Carre; C. Primary Teachers and the National Curriculum ‚Äď Research Papers in Education; 4 1989.
(2) Lever; C.; National Curriculum Design and Technology in the Primary School Trentham Books 1990.
(3) The Engineering Council Technology in the National Curriculum ‚Äď Getting it Right 1992.
(4) Dearing; R.; The National Curriculum and its Assessment School Curriculum and Assessment Authority (SCAA) 1994.
(5) A Survey of Capitation Allowances; Resources and INSET Needs for Design and Technology in Primary & Secondary Schools in 1994/5 ‚Äď Research Paper Number 3 The Design and Technology Association 1995.
(6) Design and Technology in the National Curriculum Department for Education 1995.
(7) Pritchard; A.; A Week of Roald Dahl Primary DATA Volume 1Number 2 Spring pub. Trentham Books for The Design and Technology Association 1992.