Publishing Doctoral or Licentiate Theses
Linköping University allows two kinds of theses:
- Monographs which are published in full, or
- introductions/summaries plus a collection of published articles, for which LiU E-Press publishes the summary only and makes a link to each article (if published electronically). We do not publish the articles only the bibliographic information about the article and a persistent link to the full text, if available electronically on internet, and a link back to the thesis. See this thesis as an example.
To publish your thesis electronically:
- Read the publishing conditions (pdf).
- Fill in and sign the publishing agreement (pdf) that authorises Electronic Press to publish your work on the internet (you retain the copyright for the document and hence we need your permission to make it available on the internet). Send the completed form to Linköping University Electronic Press, Linköpings universitet, SE-581 83 Linköping, Sweden.
- Log in to our publication system with your LiU-ID and fill in the publication form. If the thesis is a collection of articles, choose “Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary”, search and add the articles included in the thesis. Do not upload the fulltext for your articles (if you are interested in parallel publishing your articles contact us separately). If your thesis is a monograph, choose "Doctoral thesis, monograph".
- Register your articles first, if your thesis is a summary (collection of papers) - in our publishing system (link below), choose “Journal Article” for the type of publication.
- Fill in family and given name in the two separate fields.
- Ensure that a LiU ID is assigned for all LiU authors (otherwise publications will not be attributed to the correct researchers). Give details for ALL authors associated with a publication (including external authors).
- Add your subdepartment and faculty in the Department, unit or programme box. Click on the plus sign in front of
Linköping University in order to list all departments (see figure 1 below) and the plus sign in front of the department name to list all subdepartments (see figure 2 below). Choose subdepartment by clicking on its name
(departments are automatically connected with the subdepartment but not shown, see figure 3 below; the only exceptions are CMIV, HELIX and REMESO for which you will need to choose the department as well).
Figure 1. Click on the plus sign for a
list of the departments.
Figure 2. List of Subdepartment.
Figure 3. Subdepartment and Faculty.
- Fill in the publication title – main title and, if available, subtitle.
- Fill in year and number of pages.
- Choose series from the list and add serial number
(available via the University Library).
- Fill in the ISBN.
(available via the University Library).
- Fill in the National Subject Category, at least to a gross level. The publications in LiU's system will be harvested by the national publication portal, SwePub, which in turn is to be used by the likes of VR for their bibliometrical evaluations. For this, a publication's record must include something in the National Subject Category box.
- Fill in the keywords and abstract boxes since these will make the record of your article more visible to Google, which has become the main search tool for researchers.
- Fill in supervisor and opponent including the title (Associate Professor, Professor etc.)
- Finally add information about defending date, time and place and type of exam.
- LiU E-Press gets the pdf file from the LiU-Tryck and as soon as we got the signed publication agreement we publish the full text.
- When you finally have sent the bibliographic information for electronic publishing it is possible to create a Spikblad for your Thesis. LiU E-Press must first check the information you just filled in and sent in. Create Spikblad only works if the bibliographic information is published electronically. If it is published electronically, go to the page Generate "Spikblad" and follow the instructions.
All licentiate and doctoral theses published at www.ep.liu.se are available from the search page.
If you have any questions, please contact us.