Register Dataset in DiVA
First check in DiVA if the publication already is registered by searching for the publication in DiVA. Do not register a publication already published in DiVA!
Note: Several of the fields in the web form are mandatory. They are marked with a red asterisk (*). If information is missing in a mandatory field a message will show telling what field it is.
- If it is a new dataset click the Create a new data set button. A new image will be displayed.
- Select the version of the data set, for example. 1 or 2 etc. If the dataset consists of several new versions. Not mandatory field.
- Create one or more links to related publications from the list. Several options can be selected:
1. The publication (data set) is part of other publications register in DiVA
2. The publication (data set) has other parts, also published in DIVA.
3. The publication (data set) is referenced by other publications in DiVA.
4. Is Compiled by
If the data set has a reference to a publication in DiVA, which is not a data set, select option 3 from the list (see Figure 1). The Search Publication field in DiVA is displayed. Enter the title of the publication in DiVA that the data set will be associated with in the field. If the dataset is only registered to have a publication published in a journal, leave the field blank. The post can later be edit with a link to the published article.
Figure 1. Link to other publications in DiVA.
- If data set is a new version or an earlier version, select any of the options under the heading Create a different version of an existing data set. Select any of the options Is a new version of or Is a previous version of. Locate previous/later version of a data set in DiVA in the box Search data set in DiVA. Select Copy metadata to the data set to publish if metadata is to be copied to the new version (see Figure 2 below).
Figure 2. Create a new data set or a new version of data set.
- Select Subcategory from the list or leave blank if nothing fits.
a) Aggregated data means data that is merged/aggregated
b) Primary Data means unprocessed data.
- In DiVA there is an simple function to fill in author information about yourself and your LiU co-authors. Fill in the family name and given name and then click on the button Connect authority record (Figure 1, red frame). All author information will be filled in automatically. If there are no information about yourself or your LiU co-author, go to point 7 and contact us and we will create an authority record for you.
- Read more about how to use authority records in DiVA.
Figure 1. Connect authority record.
- If an author do not have an authority record in DiVA, manually fill in sub-department and faculty in the Department or sub-department by clicking Department, unit or programme. Click on the plus sign in front of Linköping University in order to list all departments (see figure 2 below) and the plus sign in front of the department name to list all sub-departments (see figure 3 below). Choose sub-department by clicking on its name. Departments are automatically connected with the sub-department but not shown, see figure 4 below; the only exceptions are CMIV, HELIX and REMESO for which you will need to choose the department as well.
For external co-authors (not LiU authors) fill in their organisation in the box Other organisation.
Figure 2. Click on the plus sign for a
list of the departments.
Figure 3. List of Sub-department.
Figure 4. Sub-department and Faculty.
- Add the creator's Landstinget affiliation, if appropriate by clicking on Region Östergötland and choose clinic according to point 3 above (the Centre will be added automatically).
- Enter any collaborator i.e. people who are not data sets creators but have a different role. First select the role the person has and then fill in the information just like the creator.
- If the data set cannot be linked to any creator, click the Select Organization button under the Responsible Organization heading and enter an organization instead.
- Fill in the publication title - main title of the data set and, if any, subtitle as well as the language of the title. If alternative title exists, i.e. title in another language is listed under the heading Alternative title.
- In the box Physical description, it is possible to give a specification of the data set and language.
- Fill in Year i.e. the year the data set is created.
- Select Place and Publisher for example Linköping in the field Place and Linköping University Electronic Press from the publisher list. If the publisher is not in list, fill in the publisher’s name in the box Other publisher or leave blank if publisher is missing.
- Fill in DOI if the data set got one.
- If a link is desired to another webpage, enter it in the URL field. In the field URL label the link can get a suitable name instead of the URL being displayed as a name.
- Fill in the National Subject Category field. Choose at least the main level preferably level three. Publications in LiU's publishing system will be downloaded from the national publication portal SwePub, which will in turn be used by research funds such as Swedish Scientific Council for their bibliometric evaluations. Therefore, the National Subject Category field must be filled in. Download the list of subject categories.
- In the field Keywords fill in keywords that best describes the contents of the data set ant the language.
- If the data set is part of a project, fill in the project name in the box Part of project.
- Fill in Abstract and the abstract language.
- Choose Research funders and strategic development areas and, if available, the project number.
- The fields for Geo data are not mandatory but can be filled in if the data set contains data about Swedish watercources, counties, municipality or cities.
- Click on the link Continue in order to upload files.
- The default setting for displaying the files is set to Make freely available no (Open Access) and can be changed to be published later or archiving only.
- Specify what format the data set has for example. Excel file, text file (csv), image, video, etc. and in the field, Give the file a name (optional), the file can have a selected name that appears in the external search interface.
- In the Description field, you can describe the contents of the file/files, for example: if there are multiple files compressed to one, the file contains images, html files, and more.
- Select the file or files to be uploaded. It's possible to upload multiple files of max 16GB either as compressed files or uncompressed files. You can also send the files to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will take care of the file upload.
- Accept the publication conditions and proceed to review the information and then click the link Continue.
- A new page will be displayed for checking the data entered and then sending the post for publication.
- To save and submit the information, click Submit. Metadata will appear within minutes in the external search interface, but any uploaded files will be displayed only when staff at LiU E-Press has reviewed the record with the files.